Short Public Speaking Courses
Toastmasters Clubs facilitate short courses in public speaking for adults that run either 4, 6 or 8 weeks. These are known as Speechcraft Programs.
Below you can see information about Speechcraft, how it can benefit you and what to expect at a course.
What can Speechcraft do for you?
Speechcraft programs are short courses in public speaking that are offered by Toastmasters for people not wishing to make the full commitment to join a Club. In a Speechcraft program you will
- Improve your communication skills so that you are more confident to talk in front of people.
- Prepare a number of speeches in quick succession.
- Find that your improved presentation skills will win you the respect and admiration of your colleagues.
- Benefit because your participation in Speechcraft will increase your management potential.
How can Speechcraft meet your needs?
Speechcraft can help you because;
- Speechcraft is a program designed for beginners in public speaking.
- The hands-on program provides the “how-to” and the practical experience so critical to progress.
- The Speechcraft program is cost effective as volunteers who are training to be better communicators provide the course.
- An atmosphere of professional camaraderie makes each course a unique learning environment dedicated to personal improvement.
- The program can be tailored to meet your personal objectives.
How does the Program work?
The Speechcraft program exposes each participant to a wide range of communication experiences.
- Each participant receives a Toastmasters Speechcraft Handbook plus a range of other materials. These provide valuable reference material after the program is finished.
- The initial prepared speeches are designed with the novice speaker in mind. You need no experience.
- A variety of assigned short speeches help participants develop competency.
- During each meeting a short impromptu speaking session is conducted to help participants learn to think on their feet.
- After giving a prepared speech, each participant receives a constructive speech evaluation. This process recognises speakers for their strengths and provides valuable guidance on how future presentations may be improved.
- Upon completion of the basic course you may continue your training at a Toastmasters Club.
When and Where is Speechcraft conducted?
A wide variety of Speechcraft programs are conducted by Toastmasters Clubs throughout Colorado, Wyoming and Western Nebraska each year.
These are offered by Clubs within their local communities as a community service, and charges are usually very reasonable.
A Note for Employers
Speechcraft is high quality training at a price that every firm can afford. If staff lack confidence when speaking in public, that is a handicap. But if they are prepared to put the effort into the course work, you will probably want to help them.
First study the requirements of the course and satisfy yourself that this is an effective program. Then offer to pay the course fees of your staff. When you have seen the results of the course, your firm could develop a policy of encouraging staff members to take the Speechcraft course.
For more information, contact Summit Toastmasters at:
Thank you District 70 for help with the program description.