2013 – Enjoy the Journey!
Today and tomorrow is that time of year when many of us think of what we would like to accomplish in the upcoming year.
What are your goals for 2013? Are they personal development related, family related, career related? What in your heart-of-hearts do you want to accomplish for yourself?
We all have something that we want to accomplish. Sometimes, we may be able to accomplish a goal quickly, sometimes it may take months or years. (I have two goals that each took 13 years to accomplish separately!) Step by step we work on our goals.
- Will you stumble or fall? We all stumble and fall. It is part of the journey that we must embrace. When we were babies, we weren’t born knowing how to walk or to talk. It took us several months or years. We had to take baby steps. The key here is again to keep taking those steps. Don’t judge yourself for your attempt. By attempting: you are learning, you are growing, and you are becoming free to be the person you want to be! In the process, you are inspiring others to try something new to accomplish their goals.
- Will you accomplish your goal? Sometimes we do and sometimes we don’t. Sometimes the goal changes to something that means more to you. That is okay if you are happy with it. As you grow and change, the goal may change to something you never even considered possible! Don’t judge yourself and don’t worry what others think. Have fun and experience the journey!
Some tips to help you along the way:
- Accept where you are or who you are at present. In other words…Love thyself!
- Know WHY the goal is important to you.
- See yourself accomplishing your goal one step at a time! Accept the stumbles when they happen and then start moving again. Accept that you are working on your goals one-step at a time and that you WILL get there.
- See yourself when you have accomplished that goal! (This is important as it helps us pick ourselves up and keep trying when we stumble or something is taking longer than we expected.)
- Know that you have a support system to help you along the way!
Toastmasters Club Mission Statement:
The mission of a Toastmasters club is to provide a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every individual member has the opportunity to develop oral communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth.
So I ask again…What do you want to accomplish in 2013?
Don’t worry about the past…it’s in the past. Celebrate your freedom to be who you are now and who you may be in the future. Enjoy the journey this year!