I’ve heard a lot about the Youth Leadership program offered through Toastmasters. To date, our club has had limited exposure to this 8-week program.
This doesn’t mean that we aren’t exploring options for doing short introductory workshops in the community. On Friday, we presented on of our first introductory workshops to a group of homeschool students ranging from 5-years old up to high school age.
Pat Moore took on the challenge of coordinating the session with the parents and then preparing an agenda.
- 5 min Introduction of Presenters: Pat Moore & Yvonne Bryant
- 8 min Importance of Public Speaking (questions/answers) – Pat
- 5 min Speaker Assessment Sheet (self assessment) – Pat
- 2 min Introduction of Toastmasters (lecture) – Yvonne
- 7 min Speech sample: 10 Tips for Successful Public Speaking (lecture) – Yvonne
- 6 min Steps for Preparing a Speech (Fill in the blank sheet) – Pat
- 15 min Fun Tips on Body Language (activity) – Pat
- 8 min The Importance of Evaluations (sandwich) – Yvonne
- 4 min Conclusion (Youth Leadership Program) Yvonne
- 1 hour Total
We did a variation on Fun Tips on Body Language by breaking the kids up into two groups – older students and younger students. It was definitely fun working with the kids on ways they could use body language when doing different types of presentations.
Can’t wait for feedback on our community outreach project!